Even if Meribel is located in an interior, mountainous area, there is still a type of fish quite commonly found in traditional restaurant's menus, the "féra".
This species of fish (Coregonus fera) belongs to the same family as salmon and trout. They live in the lakes of the Alps and the Jura, in deep cold water.
Most of the féras consumed in the restaurants of Meribel come from Lake Léman, but they were also introduced in other urban lakes such as Lake Annecy and Lake Bourget in the 19th century.
They are usually served grilled, fried, poached or smoked, as well as raw in tartare.
More Meribel Insights...
- Holiday season fun in Meribel this winter
- Meribel Dump Alert - 6th December 2020
- When is Meribel opening for the ski season 2020/21?
- Safety measures in Meribel winter 2020/21
- Travellers welcome to Meribel from June 15th 2020
- Flights to Geneva restart in June 2020